newspaper

Thursday, 21 January 2016

Hidden agenda

As part of my work experience I was invited by Martina Drobna along with several others people in the LGBT society to take part in the hidden agenda exhibition and work with the artist Liam Heart.

We where first given a talk by Martina about hate crime and the culture built within it and then a talk by Liam about media and outsider perceptions and how this can negatively effect the community.

Liam introduced us to his work and many LGBT artists in many different mediums, not just artists, but photographers and actors and stage performers.

I was interesting working with Liam and others, as we all came from different backgrounds in art, and some of us where not in art at all, there was a lot of freedom encouraged within the creation and I was glad to do something that was out of my usual medium.


Some pictures of me working on my first project

We were not given a strict brief on what we should create, only given the perimeters of an A3 page and to base our works off the presentation given.

Reaction to ostracism of queer people within community, it was interesting to work with only tissue paper and sewing thread, it gave alot of room to experiment and see how the materials worked together on page.

in reaction to unrealistic and narrow minded portrayal of queer identity within media. ment as a four mini poster series

Reaction to Catherine Opie and her self portrait collection and sexualization of queer female relationships Inspired by Opie's use of children's drawing in her work.

The exhibit opens properly may 7th, and the space was currently under construction.
 I could not get the whole wall in however I was able to take photographs of the wall containing parts of my work.


It was a great experience working with Liam Heart and so many other people.
however I had very little control over the end product that is shown in the gallery, and if I where to contribute to a gallery like this again I would like to be there not only for the creation but the putting up of the work as well.
Overall it was a great opportunity seeing other peoples processes and how conversations about the subjects was really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment