We were not given much in the way of what age group we were drawing for or any specifics that were wanted for the cover.
we where given the titles, "my voice is a shy tiger", "I can't imagine", "journeys" and "Broken but mending"
These are some of my progress photos for my submission
After sketching out thumbnails i settled on these designs for "my voice is a shy tiger" and "Journeys"
i wanted a slightly more traditional look to "my voice is a shy tiger", the main portion of it was done in pen and then putting it into photo editing software.
This is the final product that I had shown, the idea was of a tiger living in the jungle of your throat, looking at medical illustrations of throat muscles and abstracting them out into leafs and trees.
However I feel this is my weakest work as the face doesn't blend very well with the rest of the image, I struggled greatly with creating a background that could draw attention to the foreground and just ended up with a bad shadow.
When presenting it to the children I found that they wanted to make the tiger more anthropomorphic and for it to have shyer body language.
I favoured my cover for journeys a more. It had a simplistic, shape based style, that was more textural, high lights were done with brush to highlight and to make the colours pop more. The main idea i wanted to confront was the idea of nostalgia, when you where very young and everything was still an adventure to you, both in your physical journey as seen as the person is on public transport and a mental journey as that person is also holding a book.
Although I felt like this was a stronger cover over all when presenting it to the children it seemed to be out of their age range and it didn't appeal to their tastes.
Even though i was nervous about presenting it overall it was a good experience presenting my work to several groups of children, I got a variety of different feedback from them

No comments:
Post a Comment